Sunday, December 27, 2015

Day 36: What is Your Legacy?

40 Days of Transformation and Change of Hearts
Day 36: What is Your Legacy?

Today I helped my fragile mother into the shower and stood outside the shower just in case she fell. I thought about all the times as a little girl she bathed me and my sister and sang "oh I wish I was a fishy in the sea.." which I sang to my children and have sung to my grandchildren as I bathe them. I've thought about the things I learned from my mother that I have passed on to the next generation and the next. And what will they remember about me? What day in and day out things have I done that they have picked up on? Have I taught kindness, joy and faith? As a parent your children are everything- your world rotates around them. Then one day you wake up and they've grown. And I can't remember the last time they needed me to bathe them or sing them goodnight. And what if I would've know that night or that bath that it was going to be the last, would I have done things different? Have I taught them what they will need?  And after today I realize I will probably need them in the far future to do for me what I can't do any longer- and I hope I've taught them well.

"For the Arrow is flown and the Moments are gone." (Hymn #217 Come, let us Anew)

"Even if I knew that tomorrow the world would go to pieces,
     I would still plant my apple tree."   -Martin Luther

We all leave behind us a legacy- good or bad- we are planting seeds for our future generations. 
What will be yours? What will your children and family say and remember of you? 

"History will be kind to me for I intend to write it." -Winston Churchill

"Behold, my sons, I desire that ye should remember to keep the commandments of God; and I would that ye should declare unto the people these words. Behold, I have given unto you the names of our first parents who came out of the land of Jerusalem; and this I have done that when you remember your names ye may remember them; and when ye remember them ye may remember their works; and when ye remember their works ye may know how that it is said, and also written, that they were good."   -Helaman 5:6

No comments:

Post a Comment