Saturday, November 28, 2015

Day 7: Surrender

40 days of Transformation and Change of Heart
Day 7:Surrender

My Lesson from a Power Struggle with a Dog. 
I walk a beautiful field or the mountains each morning with the dogs; Jack my old friend a little Maltese poodle and my daughters dog Cedar who is a BIG 1 yr. old unruly Golden-Doodle. 
This is my time to enjoy the quiet solitude, time to meditate and memorize scripture, pray and ponder- a time of peace.
This morning Cedar decided to chase horses, and bark at fences at other dogs, he was completely deaf and defying to my calls and commands. I finally had to take him by the collar- and then the wrestle and struggle with a very strong big 85-100 pound dog began. The harder I pulled and yelled the stronger and more determined Cedar became. My fingers soon became so twisted and wrapped tight in his collar a voice came into my head- you are going to loose your fingers if you don't do something now! I surrendered my grip and nothing- Cedar pulled away even harder. I had to as hard as I could kick him for him to surrender the struggle also. My Temper and Anger where now a storm- as was Cedars- we continued on the way back home with this struggle. Then some advice came to mind, "Dogs hate to be ignored." So I surrendered again, walked home without another word to Cedar and hoped he would surrender too and follow. He did. I am not a dog whisper that's for sure! But what this power struggle taught me; Anger, resistance and struggle get you no where- in fact they can be damaging and hurtful. Surrender & calm equanimity calm the storms.

"For verily, verily I say unto you, he that hath the spirit of contention is not of me, but is of the devil, who is the father of contention, and he stirreth up the hearts of men to contend with anger, one with another." 3 Nephi 11;29


"And he arose, and rebuked the wind, and said unto the sea, Peace, be still. And the wind ceased, and there was a great calm."  Mark 4:39

Yoga Today
Surrender with Childs pose or Pigeon pose



Remember, if you are not relaxing, you are reacting. 
Can you relax with what is, even if it is hard?
Can you meet the stress of a challenging pose 
(or a disobedient dog)
with Grace rather than Resistance and Struggle?

No comments:

Post a Comment